Every issue of Star Wars Insider has an article where they talk/interview a person somehow related to Star Wars about their “5 Favorite…” and I love reading them. I like to think of my own answers to them and wrote a post on my 5 favorite visuals a while ago.
This issue interview’s Tom Spina on his 5 Favorite Aliens. You’ll have to read Insider for his answers, but here are mine.
- Salacious Crumb. I get it, he’s totally one of the most annoying aliens in Star Wars. But I think his name is fantabulous along with his quirky, annoying personality. He had just the right amount of screen time; any more would have jolted the audience too much out of the movie and instead would have caused them to resent him. I think he’s also top of my list because I’ve definitely used him as a code name in many work instances. Back when I worked in an office, there was always one person who was a total butt kisser and super annoying. My code name for them was always Salacious B. Crumb.
- Cantina Bar Ithorian. Wow, this guy totally sparked my imagination when I was younger. I couldn’t imagine functioning as this alien and his head was so funny looking! I just think this gives a great testament to George’s ability to make aliens in the Star Wars world all look different and unique. Most sci-fi movies had a pretty boring outlook on what aliens should look like, but the Star Wars universe was lived in and diverse. I’m happy Ithorians got to play a larger role in The Clone Wars.
- Varactyls. I loved Boga. I thought she was so cute and I’d like to imagine that she lived through the fall on Utapau. I also like it because there are not many aliens that we see more as pets/transportation in Star Wars. Boga, as well as Dewbacks, were used as a form of transportation and I thought that was cool. It showed that people, including Jedi, were not above riding animals when they needed to get the job done. Does she count as an alien though or does she fall into the animal category? I don’t care, she stays on my list.
- Geonosians. Most of my choices with my favorite aliens also relates back to their sounds. Crumb had a high-pitched annoying laugh, the Itorian at the Cantina Bar had a sound that I can’t even accurately describe…it was almost like a stretching sound, and Boga/Varactyls had this cool scream. Geonosians have to have one of my favorite voices/sounds ever. To this day, I still make their noises and imitate them at times when I walk around the house. I’m not a huge fan of the way they look (eew, life size bugs!) but the way they sound put them on my list.
- Twi’leks. I would be untrue to myself if I didn’t put Twi’leks on this list. They fell out of my favor for a while when I saw that the females were used in a purely sexual fashion within the movies (even Aayla Secura had a lot of skin showing) and the men were kind of evil (Bib Fortuna). But since the addition of Hera in Star Wars Rebels as a fully clothed, competent, smart leader of the Ghost crew…they have made their way back onto my list. I just loved Twi’leks from the first time I saw Oola dance on the screen. The lekku completely fascinated me and I wanted to know as much about them as possible. The Star Wars universe continues to reinvent this alien race and I am much obliged.
So there you have it! What are your top 5? Are you surprised I have two on the list from the Prequels?