(Please, please, please…if you have been reading all the spoilers on the internet – do not write about them here! These are all my own theories and I want to be happily correct or incorrect WHEN I SEE THE MOVIE and not beforehand. Thanks.)
Okay. So. This:
This happened last night.
These are my thoughts in no particular order and I am spoiler-free so these are all just MY theories:
- The most obvious question on everyone’s mind is…where’s Luke? He was not on the trailer poster released Sunday. He had a voiceover in the 2nd trailer but it was revealed at Celebration that he recorded that later, so it may not be in the movie. My theory is that Luke is missing or he’s locked himself away for some reason and the plot revolves around finding him. I do not think he plays a large part in this movie.
- Rey is crying and it looks like she’s crying over a body (possibly dead?). I believe she’s crying because Han dies. I’ve believed from day one that Han will die in this movie only because it took a lot of convincing, and money, to get Ford to come back to Star Wars. I think for that reason alone, his dragging feet, he will be written out of the story line.
- L. Palmer refers to Poe Dameron giving Finn a “bro slap” when he goes off to his x-wing…but I kind of interpreted it differently. I’m not sure that looks friendly to me, nor do I think Finn thinks it’s friendly. He looks a little thoughtful and definitely not happy after Dameron walks away. It could just be that they’re heading into battle so everything is serious, but I’m curious.
- And speaking of Dameron…dude what are you doing hanging out with Kylo? What is that all about? There has been so much speculation since character names were announced that Poe is evil because of his name but I’m not seeing any evidence of that – until now when he’s chilling with Kylo. Okay, he looks like he’s in a lot of stress and may be getting tortured, but he’s still with him.
- Rey’s accent is English, Finn’s is American. I was sure, and still am leaning towards, that Rey is the daughter of Han and Leia. I also have this wild theory that Kylo and Rey are siblings (maybe twins) and she’s hiding from him on Jakku (which I believe is actually Tatooine, but renamed after the Empire fell because it’s WAY too similar to Tatooine and we go to Tatooine in the first movie of both trilogies). That could be why she’s trying to be “no one”. Maybe she doesn’t want Kylo to know where she is. Not sure how all this ties into my theory of her being Han and Leia’s daughter unless she got hidden at birth (like some other twins we know!!).
- Kylo Ren wants to finish what Vader started. What the heck did he start?
- Nice juxtaposition in the trailer of Finn being aimless versus Kylo who seems to have a very clear direction.
- Kylo will whoop Finn’s butt in the lightsaber battle at the end. Finn looks nervous and not confident at all. Maybe this is where Luke comes in and saves the day? That would be awesome.
- How does Finn get the lightsaber? It sounds like, from all the trailers and the title, that the Force can “awaken” in you if you know how to let it in or let it emerge. So does this get rid of the notion from the Prequels that you are either born with the Force or not born with the Force? That’s a lot to erase from something that is officially canon…
- Not sure if anyone has noticed over the trailers and the cool San Diego Comic Con clip that was released – Finn and Dameron share/switch jackets. To me, it looks like the jacket belonged to Dameron, maybe Finn helped rescue him, and gets the jacket from him? I only say this because of that brief, split second clip from SDCC when we see Poe being hurtled off in Starkiller Base (or a Star Destroyer) by two stormtroopers and he’s wearing the leather jacket. Perhaps Finn is one of the troopers leading him away?
- I think it might be Lupita/Maz doing the majority of the voiceover in this trailer. “Who are you?…The Force…it’s calling to you. Just let it in.”
- It’s kind of cool to see how Han did a 180 from ANH to this trailer. Now he believes in Jedi vs. telling Obi-Wan to shut up on his nonsense.
- Lots of other Kylo Ren peeps standing around Kylo Ren…probably the Knights of Ren we’ve been hearing about. But why don’t they get lightsabers?
- Anyone see the cool Mandalorian skull on the flags around that temple? Also, a droid! JJ is not completely ignoring the Prequels! It definitely looks more Prequel than OT.
- Did you notice BB-8 is all over the place? He’s with Rey, Finn, and Poe during this trailer. Which makes me think that maybe he doesn’t really “belong” to anyone, or he plays a more pivotal role that any of us suspect.
- I hate the name Captain Phasma, but she’s starting to grow on me because she looks BAD ASS. Bring it.
- Another trench on Starkiller Base. Another blowing up of a gigantic battle station? Please no. Let’s try to be more original.
And finally, here is what I think the timeline of events is based on the trailers:
Dameron gets captured by the First Order. Finn is a stormtrooper, has a change of heart, rescues him. Gets in trouble, escapes via TIE and the Star Destroyer shoots it down. He ends up on Jakkooine (my friend’s and I term for Jakku) and meets Rey. He’s a wanted man so they escape on the Falcon (still hazy on how she ends up with the Falcon other than she has been repairing it in her junkyard? Maybe?) to the Resistance. Somehow they have to go find Luke because Kylo and his Knights of Ren are being talked about. Finn and Han go to find Luke. End up at a temple where maybe Maz or Luke is. Finn gets a lightsaber. No idea what happens to Rey. There is a climatic battle at the end where Finn ends up facing Kylo, Han dies, Poe blows up battle station (boo).
As you can see, lots of holes! But that’s my basic prediction…and I’ve got less than two months until I find out!
I got 7:00pm Imax tickets for December 17th. Woot. Excited.
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?? SHARE!