The Star Wars universe is amazing, we can all agree upon that. There are so many characters, planets, ships, that our imagination can be taken beyond hyperspace and we know we could live in that world if we wanted to (oh, hell, I would love to live in the Star Wars universe). But the stories we’ve seen in the saga thus far only focus on one family and the people that touch their lives. Which is great and all, but unfortunately, we don’t get to see the background stories of other characters. Here are 5 characters that I think deserve more screen time and wouldn’t mind if they were honored with a standalone movie.
Five Characters That Deserved More Screen Time
- Sabé. This woman was Padmé’s loyal bodyguard and decoy. Sounds fun, right? Uhhh, sounds dangerous. How did she get to this position at such a young age? What was the training like in order to learn all the young Queen’s mannerisms, voice inflection, how to be a bodyguard, and learn all these secret ways of asking Queen Amidala for advice when you don’t know the answer? Sabé showed great strength during the Battle of Naboo and was thrust into a position where she probably was always trained for, but didn’t expect to use in such a dire situation. Was she even able to fool Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon? She later fought in the Battle of Naboo and threw out the great line of “Viceroy! Your occupation here has ended!” Playing a pivotal role in distracting him so that Padmé could get the guns and corner Nute. I would love to know more about Sabé, her past, and what the future held for her.
- Bib Fortuna. I haven’t talked about him much, and he’s clearly doesn’t have the strongest mind, but I think he was actually a pretty savvy guy. He was with Jabba for at least 30ish years (we saw him in TPM) so it shows that he knew the right things to say at the right time. Plus, he looked ugly meshed with evil. The red eyes with greasy skin and lekku just made him this character I wanted to stay far away from. According to the Legends, he actually really hated Jabba and tried several times to kill him unsuccessfully. Poor guy. To fail so, so, so many times. But you know what? Sounds like Jabba never knew or he wouldn’t have kept him on so it further proves my point that I think Bib was sly, cunning, and smarter than most.
- Syfo-Dyas. AOTC is not my favorite movie, but I was extremely interested in the clone army and how it was kept under wraps for so long. The back story was explained to us slightly in The Clone Wars, so it fleshed out this mystery on who Syfo-Dyas was and how he kept the clone army hidden from others. But I’d like to see a more robust version of this story and learn more about his Jedi past and the experiences that shaped him to make the decisions he did. Why did the top Jedi not listen to him about the “growing darkness”? Was this the beginning of someone being dissatisfied with the Jedi Council, even before Ahsoka? Was there more unrest within the Jedi than we knew about and how did those seeds plant throughout the Order? Knowing the ending of the movie (Spoiler alert! He dies), could actually heighten the plot.
- Shmi Skywalker. Hear me out on this one. We know a lot about Shmi already, but mostly just how she relates to Anakin’s story. I’d like to see a more female centric Star Wars story that deals with more everyday issues of life, with a sprinkling of Star Wars. This could be a very interesting look at slavery in the Star War universe, something that is clearly abhorred by those closer to the center as implied by Padmé’s shock, but still very prevalent in the outer worlds. Shmi was in slavery most of her life. And imagine her shock when she became pregnant for no apparent reason? This could be a very interesting movie/story, and if someone did it right, they could really do a good job with making it very separate from any Christ-like similarities. Shimi doesn’t need to be visited by any angel or vision, she could just all of a sudden become pregnant. Imagine the fear and confusion that lives with her for 9 months. And when she gives birth, she devotes herself to her son and sees it as something happy, but he is taken from her at such a young age. From there, she goes on to lead a happier life with Cliegg Lars. This could be a very real life, tough and gritty, female-life story that I’d love to see on the big screen, even though I doubt it’ll ever happen.
- Nien Nunb. I have this this weird fascination with this character because I feel like they kind of dumped him in the story and then threw him away. I mean, he got to be first mate to Lando during the final battle in ROTJ. You have to be pretty good for that, especially as he doesn’t seem to speak a lick of Basic, but understands it. According to Legends, he was once a smuggler and befriended Lando during one of his flights. So much potential here! Smugglers are always interesting so it would be great to see his adventures and the movie would be in all subtitles! It would be a foreign action film, but Star Wars style.
All characters in a movie are there to serve a purpose, whether it be a decoy for a queen or the mother of the most important character. But sometimes I think that they should get a little more time to show their side of the story and how they got where we saw them.
Who would you pick? Do you have anyone from the movies you’d like to see more of?