Here’s my Star Wars round up for today: Ezra cuts his hair in the new season of Rebels and I watched SWCE Rogue One panel live for an hour and didn’t get to see the new trailer. Sigh.
But we did see this kind of cool behind the scenes look and you know what? I’m really looking forward to it! I know when the first trailer came out, I had some weird reservations that it seemed too much like an Iraq or Vietnam war movie (and I still think that) but it definitely looks cool.
The most interesting parts of the reel for me:
- Seeing an RA-7 droid! Talk about a blast from the past.
- Director Krennic’s cape.
- Yavin 4!!
- Jyn in normal clothing. Not even a low cut shirt. Thanks for not making her a Charlie’s Angel.
- Infiltrating the Empire. We all saw Jyn in that TIE uniform in the first trailer but if you slow down the clip, you can see Cassian in an Imperial uniform throwing a stormtrooper against a wall.
There were some interesting facts from the panel. It wasn’t all a complete waste. For instance:
- James Earl Jones is confirmed to come back as the voice of Vader (excuse me if everyone already knows this – I have been SO out of it due to having a baby.)
- K-2SO is the name of the new droid in this movie. From what Alan said during the panel, this droid may be the comic relief. Once an Imperial droid, he’s now been reprogrammed by Cassian so he’s “not quite all there”.
- Along with K-2SO, I’m wondering if Baze is also some of the comic relief. It seems like since Chirrut is the more serious warrior-monk-but-not-quite-Jedi, Baze is the foil. He described himself as a non-believer in the Force and a “doer” whereas Chirrut is the “thinker”. Was there some reference somewhere that they might be a little like the two guys in The Hidden Fortress whom Lucas based Artoo and Threepio off of? I feel like I read that somewhere…Is Chirrut part of the Church of the Force like Lor San Tekka?
- Bodhi was a pilot who worked for the Empire. The city he is from is occupied by the Empire and makes him question his job. We all know he joins the Rebellion but I’m not sure what the tipping point is or if we’ll find out.
- Jyn’s father, Galen Erso, invented something “so beautiful, so fantastic, it might change the universe.” We know from previous articles that whatever he created or knows, it’s sought by the Empire and the Rebellion. I’m sure that will create an interesting relationship between Jyn and her father and we all know how much Star Wars loves relationships between children and fathers.
- Jedha and Scarrif are the new locations/planets. Jedha is the planet that looks like Iraq and people make Force-based pilgrimages. Scarrif is where you want to go on holiday. LFL really likes introducing planets that start with J recently.
- Felicity Jones said the most interesting part of her character is that while Luke and Rey don’t know their background and are searching for it – Jyn knows her story and family, but is trying to find a cause.
- Not sure we learned much more about Saw Gerrera. I should probably watch those TCW episodes again. I remember that I found him annoying and slightly crazy.
I think the guy who plays Baze also mistakenly revealed that Chirrut dies. I’m pretty sure I understood that correctly and the way Gwendoline got awkward and tried to change the subject was funny.
There’s a Force Awakens special tonight on abc at 8pm where most people think the second trailer will also be aired. I’ve DVR’d it anyway so hoping that it’s true and I get to see the new trailer.
Strangely, this feels very much like Star Wars Rebels to me – minus Kanan and Ezra. I wonder if that was on purpose? Disney is trying so hard to make everything feel cohesive within the books, novels, TV shows, and the movies.
I am happy that my interest has been re-“awakened” in Rogue One. There’s so much even from that one clip to dissect. I’m not sure we’ll ever know what the reshoots were about but from this clip, I still think the movie feels very “war-like”.
Thoughts? Let’s hope for a new trailer tonight!