Another year has come and gone. I always feel like 12 months is so long in the beginning of the year and then at the end, I feel like it was a blink of an eye. “The days are long, but the years are short,” is what someone told me when ARM was a newborn and I totally get it now.
This blog didn’t have so well of a year as it did in 2015, primarily for two reasons:
- I posted a lot less, and
- TFA really helped out my blog last year.
That said, it didn’t do as badly as I feared either! Only ~7000 views less than last year. My most viewed post was Costuming & Characters on Princess Leia, followed by the Han Solo, and lastly Luke’s costume analysis. I remember how long those took to write last year so I’m happy to see they are still getting traction. My most viewed post that I wrote in 2016 was In Which I Defend General Hux and Speculate on Supreme Leader Snoke.
When searching the Internet, most people came to my site by way of “pregnant Padmé”, “Boushh Scene” and “Princess Leia Endor Ewok costume”.
2016, overall, was a great year for me personally. In fact, there were more highs than lows which is always a GREAT thing, but I feel like the lows had longer effects.
The Highs of 2016
The Lows of 2016
- The election. I actually had a whole post devoted to this, but then scrapped it because I don’t want my blog to be about politics. But I can write about it briefly here! In a nutshell – I am a registered Republican, but was/am appalled by Donald Trump. I am trying to keep an open mind now that he’s been elected, but I do worry about the direction our country is headed. That said, I did not think Hillary Clinton was a good choice either…but I thought she was the lesser of two evils. Trump reminded me of the Empire, in fact, many times uncannily so. I am hoping I will never need to say Padmé’s famous line of “So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause,” during the next four years.
- My health. My health has taken quite a beating this year and I am still having issues. I got the flu back in March and let me tell you – when you have any kind of sickness and your pregnant and/or breastfeeding – life gets a whole lot harder! Being pregnant with the flu was horrible. You can only take Tylenol, and not a lot of it, but it doesn’t help much. If I got a coughing fit, I would pee my pants due to the baby sitting on my bladder/extra pressure. It took a good month and a half for me to feel well again. Fast forward to mid-October, I get another cold…that hasn’t gone away. I found out I had strep throat for a few weeks without knowing it. I took the antibiotics and broke out in a horrible rash. I stuck with them and though I am slightly better, I am not 100% and it’s been 3 months now. I went to a naturopath Monday and am hoping I start to get better. We are experimenting with cutting out lactose for a few weeks (ugh) and she has me on a few different supplements as well.
- The death of my grandmother and godmother. I was not especially close with my grandmother and she lived in Australia, but it’s still a family member. I have funny memories of her and she was quite a quirky woman (the complete opposite of my dad). However, she was older, in a nursing home, and it was an unspoken thought that it was only a matter of time. But I was close to my godmother, despite the distance. She died unexpectedly and that is always hard to deal with. I still have all her texts on my phone and even now, a few months later, I can’t believe she’s gone.
- This blog and learning a new life with a baby. I’ve definitely been posting a lot less since having ARM. I knew it would happen but it’s funny how fast the weeks go by. I’ll have a draft started and it may take me 2 weeks to finish it! Or, I work on a post and by the time I’m almost done, I change my mind and decide it’s now irrelevant (a lot of Rogue One posts had that happen). I also haven’t been able to keep with other people’s blogs on WP as much as I would have liked either. Having a baby is a total adjustment. Not only with blogging, but with life. If people joke around that marriage is a ball and chain, life with a baby is that x10! My life revolves around her nap time. If something wakes her up too early during her nap time…ugh, I’ve almost had break downs. Nap time is my time and it’s interesting at how much I cherish those few hours now. I love her, but it’s hard to take time for yourself. (Please note that this is barely a “low” of my life – it’s more of a big change)
- Carrie Fisher’s death. I guess 2016 was not content with the death of Kenny Baker, our beloved Artoo, it also had to take our beautiful princess from us. I think anyone my age knew that we would be alive to see the main 3 OT characters die, but no one wants a shocker death. I’m curious as to what this means for the other saga films (she was done filming VIII, but was slated to also appear in IX) and what they are going to do with it. I don’t want more CGI Leia, but it may be the only option at this point. Killing her off-screen would be cheap and CGI would suck. So we’re left in a no win situation.
MTFBWY Carrie Fisher on your next adventure
2016 was overall a much better year for me than the past two. I had very little lows that actually connected to my life, other than the death of my grandmother and godmother. The birth of my daughter, though an adjustment to my life, has been so amazing. Now that she is past the newborn stage, I’m loving her more and more every day. She’s the joy of my life and I look forward to hanging out with her (isn’t that weird? She can’t even talk).
In 2016, I learned that time passes even when you think it’s going so slowly. There were moments of doubt, days with little sleep, fatigue due to sickness, and so much but I did learn that the “days are long, but the years are short.” It’s so, so true. My goal in 2017 is to appreciate more, love more, complain less. Easier said than done, but it’s been so easy for me to fall into the complaining trap, especially when sleep deprived. Is a positive attitude that hard? Is smiling a struggle? My goal is to fly a little bit more casual. I have so much to be thankful for; I am so blessed. I need to remind myself of that every day.
Thanks to all you guys for sticking around as I posted less in 2016 and my life has continued to evolve. Here’s to Episode VIII. Let’s hope Rey is as awesome as she was in TFA and has more personality than Jyn (teehee).