It’s been found again
The lightsaber awakens
A new Skywalker?
I thought today would be a good day to discuss the speculations surrounding Rey, my new favorite character (I can’t tell if this is a phase or if she really is taking over Luke for my new favorite character).
If you haven’t seen TFA: move along, move along.
So far I’ve heard two main theories:
- Rey is Luke’s daughter.
- Rey is Obi-Wan’s granddaughter.
I like theory #1 the best…
- The trilogies have always followed the Skywalker family.
- Even though you could argue that Kylo Ren is a Skywalker, it would be an interesting twist to start following Leia’s side of the family. It makes more sense to follow Luke.
- As part of this theory, there’s a sub-theory that I like a lot:
- Luke gets married. We’ll call her Mara.
- Luke and Mara have a daughter – Rey.
- Luke trains Jedi’s, including Ben Solo.
- Ben Solo falls to the dark side and kills Mara, along with all the other Jedi knights Luke was training (I believe this second part is canon but all we know is that the Knights of Ren killed the Jedi, not necessarily Ben).
- Luke goes into despair. He can’t look at Rey because it reminds him of Mara. Or he isn’t even thinking about her.
- For whatever reason, Rey ends up dumped on Jakku. Maybe because Luke wanted to go search for Jedi Temples.
- Part of this is that Luke shut down Artoo and told him to only let people know where he is when Rey shows up again.
- This is why Rey goes to search for Luke, not Leia. Because she’s his daughter and somehow knows.
- There seemed to be a moment of recognition on Luke’s face at the end of TFA. There could have been tears in his eyes though that might have been the strong winds.
As for theory #2…
- You’re really messing with canon and the Prequels if you think Obi-Wan had a daughter.
- I understand that JJ and possibly KK too, turn up their noses at the PT, but Obi-Wan was a very by-the-books Jedi. He was even a stickler for rules when Qui-Gon was his master.
- Kenobi did love Satine, as was recognized in the TCW, but I don’t think he ever acted on it.
- Based on Rey’s age, the only way to make this work would be for Obi-Wan to have a daughter or son when he was guarding Luke, and then they have the child Rey. But even that is questionable as we only know Obi-Wan as loving Satine and again, I do not think he compromised his vow with the Jedi Order for her. It would also mean that Satine had to hide the child…it starts getting complicated.
So, no, I do not think she is related to Obi-Wan and I think mainly because that would really be messing with canon and the PT to have that be the case. Also, story-wise, they should be staying with the Skywalker family. If anything, we learned that JJ is obsessed with ANH (sometimes I felt like TFA was just ANH 2.0) and he stuck as close as possible to the Original Trilogy.
I’ve basically accepted that I believe Rey is Luke’s daughter in some way. Just like I thought that logically Han had to die, I believe that common sense points to Rey being Luke’s daughter. BUT I WOULD LOVE TO BE WRONG.
What are your thoughts/theories/speculations on Rey?
P.S. Found out today I am having a girl! So the name Luke is out. 😦 Any suggestions?