I’m not sure I’ve written much on Yoda. Yeah, sure, I mention him here and there but I don’t think I’ve ever really written a post on him.
I believe that’s because over the years I’ve become disillusioned with him. I loved him when I was younger and his advice is still so solid. Even now, who can resist saying to themselves…
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
…when you are trying to tackle some hurdle, physical or mental?
Yet over the years, and watching the Prequels, I began to think that Yoda just did not get it. In a way, he was the leader of the Jedi Council (for 800 years, mind you!) and though I do think that he was still wise, I’m not sure he was an encouraging leader with Anakin. If you’re supposed to lead by example, I’m not sure he was the most understanding. I think over those hundreds of years, he executed a more watchful lifestyle, instead of stepping in where maybe he was needed.
Sometimes, I see those same traits pop up when Luke comes to train with him and it frustrates me. I can understand his fear with taking on Luke, he is Anakin’s son after all and we all know how that went, but he also could be your last hope! Maybe I’m the eternal optimist who feels like you should always hope and not give up. If Obi-Wan hadn’t said anything, would Yoda have turned away Luke permanently?
But all that aside, he does have some great quotes. I also loved how he acted so crazy in the beginning of ESB. Do you guys ever watch that again and laugh? Even though I’ve seen that movie so many times, I love crazy Yoda! He is adorable, funny, and so out of character from all the other movies.
Here are some of my favorite quotes from the little green Jedi Master:
- Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
- You will know when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
- Luke: I can’t believe it. Yoda: That is why you fail.
- Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
- Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things.
- Always in motion is the future.
What’s your favorite Yoda quote? Do you hold him in high esteem or was he never your favorite?