Man, oh man, I have had a busy 2 weeks. This is normal for me and my job…year end is always horrible in terms of work load but I feel like today is the first day I’m finally breathing. There are no crushing deadlines sneaking up on me and most of my Christmas shopping is done.
I’m also excited about doing some year-end reviews on my personal life. For 2012 and 2013, I wrote some posts on my past year and even though they are generally not Star Wars related, they are good for me in terms of taking the time to reflect and move forward into a new year.
Anyway, I’m getting ahead of myself.
First off, wanted to show you guys that Yours Truly made it into Star Wars Insider! I was so shocked when reading it that I couldn’t continue on in the magazine. I had sent it in months ago so hadn’t thought about it in a while. But fun, fun, fun!
Other than that, we’ve had some fun news released last week, even if it was not all-telling: some character names released via trading cards! My theory on Boyega being the kid from Star Wars Rebels was squashed pretty quickly, unless it’s a nickname. So I still have some hope, right? 😉
Here’s the list of names right now (they only released names of those seen on the trailer):
- X-Wing pilot (Oscar Isaacs) – Poe Dameron. People are speculating he could have a dark or conflicted side to him, due to the name. Some are even claiming they noticed he looked a little evil as soon as they saw the trailer…I didn’t pick up on that at all. I have also tried to stay away from all of this because I stumbled upon a rumor/possible spoiler when looking up his name, so make your own assumptions! As long as they are just guesses, feel free to share them with us.
- Stormtrooper with helmet off (John Boyega) – Finn. So again, not much there in terms of the name BUT the card says “on the run”, so a lot of our deductions were correct that he could be paranoid, running away, etc.
- Girl on speeder (Daisy Ridley) – Rey. I found this interesting because most people (including myself) have thought she was Han and Leia’s daughter OR somehow related to the Skywalkers. Her face has elements of Padme and Leia, so if she is of Skywalker or Solo blood then perhaps they are purposefully leaving that name off of the card.
- Dark figure with cross guard lightsaber (unknown actor) – Kylo Ren. Not much given to us…except my second theory is now also wrong since the quote on the card says, “Kylo Ren ignites his lightsaber”. ‘His’ being the key word there.
- Soccer ball droid – BB-8. Cute! I just love this little guy. The fact that he has a name could make him a main character. Can’t wait to see.
I love having the names but I don’t think they give us much more insight into the movie, unless Isaacs is really a conflicted, dark character.
For the new characters, we are also still missing Gwendoline Christie, Lupita Nyong’o, Adam Driver, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow (plus others). My question to you is – do you think Andy Serkis plays himself, a CGI character, or is just a voiceover?
I love this trickling of information. I just want more, more, more, but at the same time – it’s being done SO well. Enough to keep me wanting, but not too much that I get upset or feel disappointed.
ANnnnnyway. Enough VII/TFA for now (hey guys – less than a year YAY). READY FOR CHRISTMAS??? I am so ready. I actually hadn’t really thought about it until yesterday because I’ve been so busy, but now I’m finally relaxing and realizing Christmas is in less than a week!! AHHH.
Okay, quick Scene it on Friday, since I feel like I haven’t done one in a while.
What I love about this scene:
- I feel like Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were in a little bit of a lover’s quarrel and now Obi-Wan realizes his shortcomings and apologizes.
- Obi-Wan also does a little of growing up in this scene, where Qui-Gon also takes a step back and acknowledges that he is wise and will be a great Jedi.
- This scene contains one of those moments where I always think…what if Qui-Gon had survived? I think he was the type of Jedi Master Anakin needed. Someone who would push the boundaries a little bit but still keep you motivated, in line, and most importantly, within the light side of the Force. I think he would have understood Anakin’s frustrations with the council later on and instead of almost discounting them or trying to make him conform, I think he would have handled it better than Obi-Wan.
Sure, people love Obi-Wan, but I will always stand by Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan was too much of a rule follower.
EXTERIOR: NABOO SWAMP – DAY
The Naboo spacecraft has landed in the Gungan swamp. TROOPS unload the ships in the background as OBI-WAN approaches QUI-GON.
OBI-WAN: Jar Jar is on his way to the Gungan city, Master.
QUI-GON’s thoughts are elsewhere.
OBI-WAN and QUI-GON stand silently for a moment.
OBI-WAN: Do you think the Queen’s idea will work?
QUI-GON: The Gungans will not easily be swayed, and we cannot use our power to help her.
OBI-WAN: I’m… I’m sorry for my behavior, Master. It is not my place to disagree with you about the boy. I am grateful you think I am ready for the trials.
QUI-GON looks at him for a long moment.
QUI-GON: You have been a good apprentice. You are much wiser than I am, Obi-Wan. I foresee you will become a great Jedi Knight.