Sometimes I look through my blog and see what I’ve touched upon, what I haven’t, generate new ideas, and if there was something I maybe should have touched upon but didn’t. I realized that I have never gone over my favorite Star Wars quotes that are used in my everyday life. This seems to be a gross oversight on my part so I’m here today to rectify that. (I do vaguely remember wanting to do this post a lot earlier, but then L. Palmer did her post on favorite Star Wars quotes. I think I decided to wait and then forgot about it entirely.)
Without further ado, here’s a list of my favorite Star Wars quotes, which have always hit the sweet spot for me:
1. “I don’t know. Fly casual.” – Han Solo This is my all time favorite. I tried to instill it into my life because I am so uptight and a type A personality that I can rarely relax. So whenever I’m trying to go with the flow, I tell myself to “fly casual.” It was a running joke in my family and whenever I would get completely thrown off by a change in plans they would start yelling, “Fly casual, Kiri, fly casual!” I still tell it to myself sometimes when necessary.
2. “You’ll find I’m full of surprises.” – Luke Skywalker Kind of a throw away line from Luke, when he is battling Vader for the first time in ESB, but such a great quote! You can use it in so many different situations. I like to use it at work when someone gets surprised at how organized I am (Really? You should know better by now), or just generally surprised by something I did that’s amazing (Really? You should know better by now).
3. “Feel, don’t think. Trust your instincts.” – Qui-Gon Jinn I use this quote when I’m torn between decisions. Deep down, I generally know what my heart wants, but my brain could be telling me to go in the exact opposite direction. That’s when I have to steady myself, listen to my instincts, and just feel the right decision.
4. “That doesn’t sound too hard.” – Princess Leia This one is obvious. It was her reply when Han said, “Sometimes I even amaze myself.” If you pay attention, people say that quite often and I always respond with Leia’s line, which generates anything from chuckles to “Ohhh, burn!”
5. “Your overconfidence is your weakness.” – Luke Skywalker I don’t usually use this quote to someone’s face, but often change it when talking to someone else to be “Their overconfidence is their weakness.” It says so much in that small line that you can really apply it to many people who exhibit that lame bravado.
6. “Always in motion, the future is.” –Yoda Nobody can predict the future. I just love this quote because it’s so true… I mean, it’s even headlining my entire blog. Even though Jedi could see future events, it was always in motion and could change. They only represented possibilities, not certainties. And it’s not like they could just command themselves to appear. Force-visions only appeared to Jedi very strong with the Force. But I digress. The quote is a Star Wars way of saying that the future is always changing, so don’t rely on anything. Plan as much as you want, but know that it can change. Why? Because it’s always in motion. We thought six movies were all that there would ever be, but guess what? The future is always in motion and now there are going to more than we ever thought possible.
7. “You do have your moments. Not many of them, but you do have them.” – Princess Leia This is for my husband (love you, babe! Oh wait, he never reads my blog). It’s the perfect quote to say to the person you love…applauding their efforts, but also grounding them a bit. I’ve definitely said it to my husband a few times and they go right over his head. I usually follow it up with, “That is a Star Wars quote. Leia says it to Han.” Where he’ll reply, “Oh. Interesting.” And not care at all. I digress again.
8. “We seem to be made to suffer. It’s our lot in life.” – C-3PO Like the first one, this is one that was repeated often when I was younger. Generally when my mother made me do household chores, or any chores really, I would sigh dramatically and quote Theepio. She didn’t care and it didn’t get me out of anything, but she would laugh.
9. “Apology accepted…Captain Needa.” – Darth Vader Oh damn, I get shivers down me spine. Such a great quote. I will usually quote the first part when someone apologizes to me and either mumble the second part or say it in my head. But c’mon – don’t you all think the “Captain Needa” part when you say, “apology accepted,” or hear it from others? Such a great quote for life.
10. “Wesa going home!” – Jar Jar Binks I’m sure this is a surprise. Who EVER puts a Jar Jar quote on their list of most favorite Star Wars quotes? But this is my list, and honestly, I have used that quote so many times in my life. It’s this great moment in TPM where finally, FINALLY Amidala, Jar Jar, and the crew are going back to their home planet of Naboo after their long journey. The music of John Williams combined with Jar Jar’s ecstatic joy of going home, presents this warming moment in my soul. I relate to Jar Jar because haven’t we all felt that feeling at some point? I’M GOING HOME! So, yes, I have used this quote many times in my life and will continue to use it, despite not really being a Jar Jar fan.
So these are the top 10 Star Wars quotes used in my life. Note they are not my top favorite quotes, though some do intersect lists. Maybe I can do a top quote list later on…but why do that when you can search the internet for a million of them? These are specific to my life and the ones I use most often.
Do you guys have any Star Wars quotes you use a lot in your everyday life? Tell me!