I take time from my conference to let you guys know the first piece of BIG news since October 30, 2012. The Episode VII cast has been announced!
Here’s the full list:
- John Boyega
- Daisy Ridley
- Adam Driver
- Oscar Isaac
- Andy Serkis
- Domhnall Gleeson
- Max von Sydow
- Harrison Ford
- Carrie Fisher
- Mark Hamill
- Anthony Daniels
- Peter Mayhew
- Kenny Baker
So we can learn some information from this. The original three heroes have been confirmed to return, along with Threepio, Artoo, and Chewbacca.
New actors/actresses? Here are some of their street creds:
- John Boyega – younger African American actor. Relatively unknown. Quite a bit of TV work.
- Daisy Ridley – younger caucasian actress. Same as Boyega – relatively unknown with TV work.
- Adam Driver – This guy has been popping up all over Star Wars rumor sites. Most rumors have been pointing to him as the new nemesis/Sith Lord. He’s best known for his recurring role as Adam Sackler in the TV show Girls and Samuel Beckwith in Lincoln.
- Oscar Isaac – Interesting roles in movies. Drive, Sucker Punch, The Nativity Story, to name a few. I feel like he picks his roles with extreme care.
- Andy Serkis – Gollum! I’ve actually never seen him act in human form, so no idea what that will bring, but I’ve heard he’s not bad.
- Domhnall Gleeson – He was in Harry Potter! I knew I recognized him. He played Bill Weasley. He was also in About Time, which I heard was really good, but have never seen.
- Max von Sydow – Older man…Just celebrated his 85th birthday. What role could he possibly play? He has a lot of acting (movies and TV) under his belt.
Let the speculation begin. If rumors are to be believed than we have Adam Driver as the villain. Daisy? Leia and Han’s daughter? I don’t see anyone here that could possibly be matched with Luke as a wife/partner, so maybe he is sticking to the old Jedi ways of not marrying. Max von Sydow? That’s really interesting. I’m also curious as to what Gleeson will play. Love interest to Daisy’s character?
Also, rumors have been swirling that Abrams wanted VII to focus heavily on the returning three heroes before handing the baton to a younger generation. So does that mean folks like Boyega, Ridley, and Gleeson could be returning for following movies?
I am excited this has finally come to the light. Let me know what you think.
8 thoughts on “Episode VII Cast Announced!”
Why Max von Sydow? There must be some Actor’s Guild requirement on trilogies that go over a certain amount of minutes having to employee old school classical actor. You had Peter Cushing in ANH, Christopher Lee in ATC.
LOL! That’s funny. I wonder too what role he could play. A Jedi that was in hiding? Maybe link him back to the ex-Jedi in the TV show Star Wars Rebels? That would create a link between movies and TV which Kennedy is more interested in doing.
Exciting news, this is.
Yup, yup! Wish I could spend more time on the post to really flesh it out and what I think. Darn this conference!
Ooooh so much to speculate!! I am hopeful about the “unknowns,” but a little disappointed there’s only one new girl. Super excited about Andy Serkis–would love it if he’s mo-capping an alien main character!
Also John Williams confirmed!
One interesting omission–no Billy Dee Williams?
Yup, I noticed that too. Williams has been very vocal about not getting any calls but I couldn’t figure out if he was just trying to throw us off the trail.
You’re right – there is only one new girl. I hadn’t really realized that in my excitement. Here’s to hoping this “one new girl” ends up being the main character by the time IX rolls around 🙂
Yes, a female lead would be great! Especially if she’s Han/Leia’s daughter and/or a Jedi!
I hope that poor actress is ready for insta-fame…